The South Travancore Hindu College Association, with temple trusts and individuals as shareholders, was registered as a company on 9th January 1952 with a view to promoting the cause of higher education in South Travancore, now known as Kanyakumari District.
The College was granted affiliation on 14th March 1952 by the University of Travancore. On 7th April 1952, Sri. A.Ramaswamy Mudaliar, the Vice-Chancellor, laid the foundation stone, and on 11th July 1952, Sri. P.G.N.Unnithan, President, Travancore Devaswom Board, inaugurated the College at a special function, presided over by Kavimoni Sri. S. Desigavinayagam Pillai.
Started on a modest scale as an Intermediate College in 1952, the South Travancore Hindu College rapidly grew into a Degree College in 1955, and a Postgraduate College in 1956. With the reorganization of Indian States, the College first came to be affiliated to the University of Madras in 1957, then to Madurai Kamaraj University in 1966, and finally to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University in 1990.
Of the large number of individuals and institutions that have helped the College grow into its present status of being a Premier Institution, reaccredited with A by the National Assessment and Accreditation Committee of the UGC, special mention must be made of the following:
- The Desigavinayagar Devasthanam, Kottar.
- The Kottar Mahamai Vellithambala Kattalai, Kottar.
- His Highness the Maharaja of Travancore.
- His Holiness Srilasri Kasivasi Arulnandhi Thampiran Swamigal of Thiruppanadal Adheenam, and,
- His Holiness Srilasri Pandara Sannithi Swamigal of Thiruvavaduthurai Adheenam.